Saturday, January 7, 2012

Retro Corner - Onyanko Club and Anmitsu-Hime

Okay, I know I was supposed to post this on Thursday, but uggh. Must not let 2012 kick my butt!



First up in my feature of favorite retro idol songs is Onyanko Club's "Koi wa Question" and "Anmitsu Daisakusen," the theme songs for the anime "Anmitsu-Hime." I wanted to start off with a video that actually shows the girls, but there weren't any on YouTube of the songs I wanted to show at this time. :( This was back in the 80's, before music videos were widespread in Japan (please prove me wrong, though! I just can't find many.) There seemed to be more live television appearances, like how American music was promoted in the 60's and a lot of the 70's, so the likelihood of many songs from that era getting legally uploaded by their record companies is slim. :(

Anyway, I really dig Onyanko Club's retro sounds, with the bass beats. I can really hear where some of AKB48's stage songs come from in respect to the intention that they are supposed to be reminiscent of Onyanko Club and 80's idols. Well, their producers are the same, so that helps. It makes me think it would be cool if there was a stage of just Onyanko covers!

And I really appreciate what Onyanko Club started... if it weren't for them, there wouldn't be a Morning Musume or AKB48, at least not as we know them.

So, about these songs in particular: "Koi wa Question" is the kind of song that gets stuck in my head! It's so bubbly and cute. The ending song, "Anmitsu Daisakusen," reminds me of some recent idol groups, like Momoiro Clover, with the cute "talking as though singing" parts. Both of these songs are pleasantly nostalgic, yet I think they are still relevant in the current idol industry. I think anyone that's a fan of idols in general will find something to appreciate with this group.

Well, I hope this first post was enjoyable, and I hope to share my thoughts on another favorite retro idol song next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment