Saturday, June 16, 2012

Idol Challenge 24 - A Sock o Soul

Day #24: Idol who is not your favorite but you still think is really good.


Risako Sugaya of Berryz Koubou. I admit, I was one of the people that thought Risako looked a little too full of herself, being the most pushed center. And I laughed at those unflattering pictures that cropped up in 2008/2009 that made her look like she had gained thirty pounds. But then the horrible comments people began making when it was discovered those weren't just bad pictures, she really was curving up, made me defensive for her. Next to the other girls, yes, she looks thicker. Put her in an oversize floral shirt, and yes, it makes her look bigger. But put her in a fitted dress and she can pull off looks the curve-less girls can't (and I don't mean 'fat'.) She's gorgeous.

And I think she's an awesome singer. She can pull off songs with soul, belting out lyrics with power. That power makes her stand out from the nasally and high-pitched singers prevalent in Hello!Project. I appreciate the variety she gives. Actually, of all the current groups, Berryz Koubou is the one with the greatest variety of voices, and I think Risako's is the power that binds them.




No comments:

Post a Comment