Thursday, March 22, 2012

Retro Corner - Jun Togawa's "Suki Suki Daisuki"


This lady is completely crazy. I actually came across her by accident when looking at Yellow Magic Orchestra related videos. The thumbnail for Jun Togawa's "Suki Suki Daisuki" (1985) looked very 80's and idoly. So I clicked on it. I was totally unprepared for the strange, awkward over-emoting (even by idol standards.) It was like, "What did I just watch?!" the first time I watched and then giggles and pure glee the second, third, and so on times. The expressions she makes when she says she'll kill her crush if her love goes unrequited are priceless!

She sings like both a hyper six-year-old and like an opera singer, which makes her voice both annoying and amazing all in the same song. It's complete madness, but I love it. From other videos that I watched, it sounds like her cracky voice is her trademark. I don't know whether she's considered an idol, but I never intended to write about idol-only retro songs anyway, just mostly idol. According to Wikipedia, she sang the vocals for some bands (like the YMO-related collaborations I first stumbled upon.) I definitely want to look up more of her work in the future, because I can never get enough crazy in my life, heh.



No comments:

Post a Comment