Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Rival Waah! - Clover Rangers!

I like groups with prominent color-coding (image colors.) It is easier to recognize members in an unfamiliar group and more fun to learn the members. And it gives an immediate recognizable symbol for being a fan, like a flag. Wear a pink shirt to a Berryz Koubou concert and fans will think you're a Momo fan. But outside the idol context, color-coded characters are probably more familiar in the form of super-heroes/magical heroine kinds of shows. Sailor Moon, Madoka Magica, Super Sentai... a.k.a. Power Rangers! It's not unusual for idols to actually play female Rangers. And H!P's Berryz Koubou and C-ute has used the concept of Sentai-style color-coded teams in their Berryz Kamen vs. Cutie Ranger concert (recently revived!) But Momoiro Clover Z's "Densetsu ~Owarinaki Kakumei~" took it a step further, with actual suits (as in with helmets, not just another funky themed idol outfit) and makes references that those familiar with Sentai/Rangers will appreciate.

(It's pretty lucky that the bottomless pit of the group has the image color 'Yellow'. Perhaps they started from there?)

I was worried that I'd lose interest in Momoiro Clover after Akari/Blue left last year. She was my favorite and I thought she was the best singer. As the first Akari-less video, "Densetsu ~Owarinaki Kakumei~" reassured me that the group was still going to be fun to follow. I still haven't picked a new favorite, so I'm still a casual listener, but these goofy girls are still worth my time to listen to and watch their music videos. Their music is actually really catchy and fun-sounding and they have cute anime character-like voices! At the moment, they are probably my favorite non-H!P group.

This was a roundabout way of saying every second of this video is pure awesome!




No comments:

Post a Comment