Monday, February 6, 2012

Gaki-san's Graduation


Risa's graduation. I'm actually really surprised it's this soon. What, is every finale of Morning Musume's concert tours going to end in a graduation ceremony from now on? Or at least until the 6th and 8th generations are all gone?

I'm not upset by this at all, of course. Adding and subtracting members is interesting and keeps things fresh. Gaki's been in the group for ten years when most members get what seems to bean average of four to six (yes, the clock's already ticking for the ninth generation members, who celebrated their first anniversary with the group at the beginning of the year.) Gaki has never ranked on my list of favorites and is always in the lower half of my Morning Musume rankings despite my love of her voice (she's great at reacting to the other members' shenanigans, but she isn't very entertaining to me when she's by herself.) Like with Yuuka, I'm glad that other girls that I like more will be able to shine in her place.

But I really will miss her voice so much. No one in Morning Musume, as far as I've heard, can pull off as smooth and soothing a voice as her. No one. Haruka's voice is deep and unique and cool-sounding. But it's not quite relaxing. Too much power. Zukki's deep voice has become absolutely dynamite, powerful yet smooth. But I don't know if she's ready for a ballad yet. Aika's voice is semi-deep, but not impressive lately and far from relaxing. Reina- Reina can sometimes pull off relaxing, but she's not deep by any means. So now instead of having a one-two punch with Gaki's vocals (and Aichan's 1 HIT KO vocals), Morning Musume is going to have to work together again. I really hope they use more than half the group in their singles after the chicken suit single. We can't tell anything about direction (lines-distribution wise) from generation-debut songs. "Maji desu ka Ska" taught us that. But really, even if they still keep three front girls (or four, with Sayumi), I hope they still have other voices even when the focus is on the front girl in the videos. People will complain at the music video, but at least the vocals will be stronger and varied and everyone gets to shine.

The other reason why I'll miss Gaki is completely stupid: now I'll have to omit her from future artworks I had planned, since some might be finished long after she graduates. I love these line-up changes, but they mess with my plans. I guess I'm afraid of showing my friends fanart of idols and they like a girl that has graduated and then aren't interested in the group anymore. Which is silly, but I already know I am silly.

Still, bring on the 11th generation!

And I think Aika should totally graduate next. She used to be my favorite, and I still think she's cute. But 6th gen are stronger members and someone has to graduate next, so it should probably be Aika in 2013. Though, who knows, 6th gen may really want out and Aika may yet prove herself again now that she's back in action and everything will turn out best for both the girls and the fans. I really hope so.



No comments:

Post a Comment