Thursday, February 2, 2012

Retro Corner - Wink's Ai ga Tomaranai


Wink has a couple things in common with the former H!P unit W. Besides being a duo, they've also done quite a bit of covers, some overlapping with W's covers, and W even did a cover of one of Wink's original songs. I like covers. They introduce me to songs that I may otherwise never have listened to, through the comfort of groups I'm already fond of.

Wink didn't just do a few covers of Japanese songs, but some Western songs as well. They sang them in Japanese, though, so it was fun to be like "this sounds familiar" and figure out what the original was. But I had never listened to Kylie Minogue's "Turn It Into Love" before I heard Wink's "Ai ga Tomaranai." (1988) Afterward, I actually thought I should give Kylie's work (at least her older stuff) more of a chance, haha. It's a very catchy song, and very 80's. It's awesome.

The original for comparison:




No comments:

Post a Comment