Thursday, February 2, 2012

Retro Corner - Coco's Omoide ga Ippai


The first idol songs I was ever exposed to were from Ranma 1/2, though I did not realize they were idol songs at first. In fact, I originally thought that Coco's "Omoide ga Ippai" (1990) was sung by the Ranma 1/2 cast (because I found the lyrics to DoCo's version online.)

This song only continued the high esteem that I felt for Ranma 1/2's theme music. It's catchy, sweet, and I loved the variety of voices. I especially loved the adorable high-pitched voice (which I later learned from MorningBerryz's blog entry was Rieko Miura.)

Ranma 1/2 was also my first experience of anime in actual Japanese, with actual Japanese theme songs (before it was just Pokemon, Digimon, and Toonami for me.) I had no idea how abundant those high voices were in anime and idol music, especially now in our moe-filled era. It was new and cool.

Recently, Ranma 1/2 got a cheesy live-action drama. I haven't seen it, I'm actually not sure if I want to. But it made me smile that even after two decades, they still decided to use an idol group, 9nine, for the theme song. I need to listen to the theme song just to check if it matches the high standard I've set for Ranma 1/2 theme songs, thanks in part to CoCo.


No comments:

Post a Comment