Thursday, April 12, 2012

Retro Corner - Minako Honda's "1986nen no Marilyn"

Since the video has embedding disabled, it is available on YouTube here.

In my "Konya wa Hurricane" Retro Corner post, I mentioned that it sounded pretty standard for 80's girl-rock. Here is an example. Minako Honda's "1986nen no Marilyn" (1986) is a song that I associate with the overall sound of Japanese 80's girl-rock (or rather, idol-rock?)

Now when I say standard, I am talking about the impression the sound gives off, just like Western synthpop from the 80's has a particular sound. "1986nen no Marilyn" is still plenty unique, a song that I can recognize from any part of the tune. It's catchy, it's rockin', it even has a bit of jazz to the instrumental. Honda has a deep, rich voice, adding all the more power. This would be perfect for husky-voiced Morning Musume member Haruka Kudo to sing at an event or for a future cover album!




No comments:

Post a Comment