Monday, April 30, 2012

Rival Waah - BABYMETAL's "Doki Doki Morning"


BABYMETAL's "Doki Doki Morning"... at first I thought this was weird and creepy and laughed at it. The concept is cute and hilarious: three tweens/teens moshing about to Death Metal with trolling bits of cutesy bubblegum in between. The older girl, the vocalist, makes some hilarious idol-y faces while still keeping a tongue-in-cheek badassedness. The younger girls, though; they may be scarier than the Olsen twins.

Eventually this song became more than just an odd novelty to me. I genuinely like this song now, even if the girls are still a little creepy to me (I think the lead girl is cool, it's just those neo-Olsen twins...) So when I hear about their new song, I was excited. But I think whenever something epic comes around, it dooms its follower. Their new song is just another creepy novelty song to me. Maybe it will eventually grow on me like the first song did. Only I doubt any of their future songs can match the feeling of watching "Doki Doki Morning" for the first time.

I kind of wonder what will happen to this group in the future. They aren't going to remain "baby"-like forever. And isn't their mother idol group the group that graduates girls when they enter high school? And even if the older girl can stay because of her vocals and image as the group's face, I get the feeling the other two girls can just be easily replaced by fresh screaming pre-teens. I guess I'll continue following this group and see what happens! (And maybe it will take a few more songs to break out of the high expectations I have due to "Doki Doki Morning"'s epicness.)




2 comments:

  1. That was...odd. o.O Really, really odd. It's not something I would listen to without the video on hand, but I may need to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel about their second music video. The visual irony (cute little girls being so darn creepy) is so strong even though the songs seem more suited to trolling. But maybe it's the sheer oddness that keeps the melody of this one in my head? D:

      Delete